taking action beyond the accepted norm to create fundamental change
In an ever-evolving world the old eventually has to make room for the new. But that rarely happens as gracefully as it does in nature. We humans are creatures of habit and vested interests make it hard to let go. Even if circumstances are not in our favor.
At economical, social or ecological phase transitions incremental change will not do. We have to go boldly where no (wo)man has gone before. Someone has to show that the radically new is really possible. To stand up for what they believe can be done. That always requires taking action beyond accepted norms.
Game Change Relevance
Action speaks louder than words. So if you really want to change how any game is played, you have to take action. Great ideas and noble intentions alone do not lead to tangible results. Especially if it’s a fundamental change in how things are done.
To be truly Game Changing, you have to be prepared to go against the grain. And to go at it with all you’ve got, because resistance will never be far away. It requires a pioneering mindset to pull that off. Game Changers have to take initiative and take great personal risks. It is not for the fainthearted or the security seekers.
- Becoming a rebel instead of a pioneer with a just cause.
- Too much focus on fighting the old, instead of setting the example for the new.
- Prematurely launching your initiative, which nips it in the bud. Timing is of the essence.
- Break your approval-seeking habit
- Take risks but start small
- Prepare for resistance and build your support team of people who understand the challenge you’ve taken on
- Don't go against accepted norms, but beyond them.
- Become really good at your pioneering action of choice